When will chicks start eating other stuff?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kishfsrm2000, Aug 20, 2014.

1. kishfsrm2000

kishfsrm2000 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2014
    I have 3 four-week-olds. They have been on a steady diet of chick starter. When will they start eating more diverse foods? I've offered various fruits and veggies and they seem uninterested. Chick feed just seems so boring. These are my first chickens, so any and all advice is welcome. Thanks.

2. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    Some chicks don't start eating other things until they start laying. If you want to feed them other things, you need to give them chick sized grit to help their digestion.

This is what I did. I need my little girlies to have more protein in their diet, so I gave them some boiled and mashed egg. They were sort of scared of it at first, but when I left it in there coop a while, they started pecking at it. Now they go crazy for it:)

I wouldn't feed them to much other stuff though, as the "chicken nutrient masters" carefully balance all the nutrients they need into the feed, and you might be messing with that if you add things to their diet.

3. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    I was a little dissapointed at first with my chicks RE: treats. They weren't interested either.

The first thing I got them to like was plain yogurt. I mixed some of their feed into it so when they pecked the feed, they got a taste of the yogurt too. By the next day when I gave them a blop of yogurt it was gone in seconds.

Next I tried grapes. Totally uninterested UNTIL i squished it so they could taste the inner squishy part. Now they will practically crawl up my legs to get them.

It wasn't till about 8-10 weeks before they really started getting interested in the things I brought them. Now we've gotten to the point (23 weeks) that they assume anything out of my hand is gold.

I just recently learned that my life is in danger if I have a blob of raw ground beef in my hands :)

4. woody1

woody1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Just North of the PRK
    Your brooder raised chicks don't have their mommas to tell them what to do. Unless told otherwise they are afraid of anything new. Their instinct is to eat but they don't know what so.....just put a little of the new food out and give 'em time. They'll figure it out and soon come running for "treats." Regards, Woody

5. kishfsrm2000

kishfsrm2000 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2014
    Thanks for the advice everyone. It just happens I put out a dish of grapes mixed with some blueberries before leaving for work yesterday. When I got home the bowl was empty! So they are coming around. It just takes a little while for them to learn new stuff. More cautious than the dog-which is a good thing! Thanks everyone.

6. mmclaughlin

mmclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I have 4 2 day old chicks hatch /raised by a broody hen....he is showing how and what to eat i actually saw her put a live worm in front of them to eat they actually fought over it ...so funny to watch :) I make sure I add grit to the nursery and that there is bedding and fresh water and let momma do the rest.
    so different then my 1st chicks i bought and raised in a brooder.I was so careful about feed water, temperature ect now I watch momma teaching these new chicks.. she even pecks and clucks at them when the aren't paying attention to her lol!!!
    so keep tring to add new things.they will get it!! especially if your not watching haha!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by