when will chicks stop feeling skinny?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chkinut, May 11, 2010.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i have 4 one month old girls. they look and act great! they are on chick starter and they eat lots of grass, yogurt, tomatoes, kale etc. but when i pick them up, i can feel their skinny breast bone! especially my white EE girl. i'm wondering if this is normal?

2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Of all of my chickens I only have a few that are heavy. Most of mine are small and thin. they have calcuim, grit and grower finish at all times. they are given sunflower seeds, bird seed, cracked corn, any type of greens, pasta, veggies, fruits, even cereal, meal worms and probably lots of other things for treats. I have also started adding Flock Raiser with their regular food to add some more protein. although my girls range in age from 1 year and older I choose not to force them to lay eggs. I have tons of eggs and I just supplement extra protein and calcuim. I want them to live out their lives not having to just lay eggs constantly and they seem just fine. I worm them twice a year and plan on using DE this year.

So if anyone has any other ideas about adding weight to my girls that would be greatly appreciated.

3. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    How much snacks are you feeding them? Perhaps they are filling up on junk food and not getting enough nutrients that they need from the starter/grower. My chicks get nothing but starter/grower for the first 8 weeks or longer(no junk food). Give it a try if you want and I think you'll find they will start plumping up.

4. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    None of my chicks have ever felt 'skinny'.. The Jersey Giants I have seem a little more lengthy, but not skinny. They are about 7-8 weeks old and I just started adding some treats. Up until now the only thing extra they get are cooked eggs. Eggs have extra protein and the yolk contains some fat. Maybe scramble or HB some eggs and feed them..

5. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    thanks! i'll try only the chick starter and cooked eggs. i thought the way i was doing it would be ok since they were all healthy snacks.....but then again, just like a human baby i guess, they need their "formula"....ha ha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by