When will Chuchuck start crowing? He's 12 weeks old now...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Fruit, May 15, 2009.

1. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Chuchuck is my welsummer roo. He looks little in this picture (the giant weeds dont help), but he's creeping up on 5 pounds now... lol. He fluffs himself up and stretches out like a rooster would, and makes this horrific "BAGOOOCK!" sound (like a hen who just laid an egg). I cant remember the last time I had a rooster grow up around me, and he's had this routine for a couple weeks now.

Come on Chuchuck, sing us a song...

[​IMG]

2. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    *self boost*

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    It really depends on the individual. Some people have roos who start singing their praises at 1 week old, others wait until they're a little more self-confident. I have a barred rock roo right now at 16.5 weeks who hasn't started crowing yet. I have no doubt that he will, though!

It will come in time... it's like a child talking. You can't wait for them to start, then once they do, you wonder why you ever wanted them to be able to!!

4. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Tis true... tis true...

I wonder if me always crowing at him, and then us having to chase them down some times has something to do with it. Maybe he's not "man enough" to lay claim to his own space yet.

Oh well, Chuchuck considers it, and thats a start I suppose! lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by