when will ducks set? update: she's setting!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NewChickenMom, Jul 15, 2008.

1. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    i have 3 gray call hens and one grey call drake. they have a small dog kennel with hay that they have been laying in. the girls all go in there and lay, one of them has been sitting off and on, but most of the day the girls hang out with the drake and explore. when do they begin to sit all day? there are 4 eggs in the kennel. should i be taking them out? or is it allright to leave them in. i've also put another kennel with hay close to the other one in case one of the hens does decide to set. any advice?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I dunno about your's but I have a call hen who is sitting tight on 5 eggs. Been that way for 2 weeks now. She only gets up to drink and eat then quick swim and preen, and she's back to the nest.

One thing I've noticed, the drake has really calmed down with the others since she sat down. She might have been the agressive instigator and no tthe drake all along.

I like her sitting, makes the aviary peaceful. [​IMG]

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I would go ahead and take the eggs and enjoy them.
    Your ducks will start setting when the mood strikes. I have 2 scovy ducks sitting on nothing. They were just ready to set, so they did. [​IMG]

4. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    nevermind, one of the hens is setting tight on the eggs now. now i just wait 28 days right?

5. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Yup! Time to hurry up and wait! [​IMG]

I haven't been keeping track of mine but it's been like 2 weeks I'm pretty sure. So in another 2 weeks I'll definately know one way or the other if we'll have more ducklings!

Thank GOD this batch will have a MOM. I've had just about enough of brooding these birds myself!

[​IMG]

6. Fluffs

Fluffs Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2015
    Missouri
    Well I'm embarrassed to say, but I have QUITE the collection of eggs out their waiting for my two females to set. I started by first collecting and dating the eggs, keeping them in my house until I had 24 eggs between the two. I then carefully put all the eggs in their nest with hopes of one of them setting. They continue to lay but haven't begun setting yet. They completely covered one nest of eggs with the straw. I've let this go on now for a few weeks.... this is a dumb question probably, but should I remove all the eggs and let them start afresh?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by