When will egg production go back up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rainbowgardens, Dec 23, 2008.

1. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    We've gotten past the longest night of the year and the days will begin gradually lengthening. When does the egg laying pick up?
    I have eight dominique hens. We were getting up to seven eggs a day but then it gradually dwindled down to one to three. We did not set up lights for them.
    How soon can I put omelette back on the menu?

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Hey rainbowgardens! I'm in Central VA and have Dominiques, too. What a coincidence! I don't supplement light, either. They deserve a break!

Last year my Dominiques started laying on February 9. I remember the date because it was my first egg ever! Anyway, I figured that they finally got enough hours of light to lay.

It's been a bit different this year. Now my Dominiques are adult hens, and they went through their molt earlier. One resumed her laying last week, and the others have finished their molts, so I expect they will start back soon (hopefully).

I also have pullets of other breeds, and one of them has finished her molt and started to lay again within the last couple of weeks.

So, I guess it just depends on a lot of things. How old are yours, and are they molting? Mine may be doing better this year because I put little windows in the coops, so they get light early in the morning before I let them out. I'm just guessing on that, though.

My birds who are laying are laying much smaller clutches than they did during spring and summer. Rather than laying 5-7 eggs, then taking a day off, they are laying 2-3 eggs, and taking a day off. I'm not complaining, of course.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is this: They could start back to laying any time now. Or they could wait till early February. But I think that would be the very latest.

PM me if you'd like to talk Dominique. I'd love to hear about yours, and see pictures of them. They are such beautiful birds!

3. rainbowgardens

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Thanks lauralou for your reply.
    My dominiques are almost eight months old. They are my first chickens.
    I'm surprised I'm getting any eggs at all right now. I thought they just shut down completely. Or, maybe that is still to come? I'm just curious to know what to expect.
    We love our eggs for breakfast and hope we don't have to go back to plastic store-bought eggs.
    I'm getting more hens next year...Speckled Sussex. I'll have to expand the coop, but we'll have enough eggs for the winter.

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    It is depressing, isn't it. [​IMG] I realized there was a problem in our egg production when I started contemplating sneaking scrambled eggs after the kids are tucked in at night. LOL

If you do have to buy store eggs, you might see if there is anyone selling local farm eggs. I managed to find some when I got desperate. Good luck and hope we are all back on the road to egg eating soon!!!

5. rainbowgardens

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    My natural foods co-op had local eggs that were almost as good as my hens were giving me, but the past three or four months there haven't been any. I fear they no longer carry them. It's a good thing I got my girls when I did. The week after they started laying for me the co-op stopped having their eggs.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Egg production will go back up right after you get totally exasperated at your egglessness and buy a carton at the store. The next day you will have multiple eggs in the nestbox [​IMG]

Seems to happen to me anyhow,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by