When will he get his bib?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Quail-Crazy, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Quail-Crazy

Quail-Crazy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    Hello there. :)

Just become very proud parents to two beautiful chinese painted quails, a hen and a cock and they are absolutely charming creatures that we simply adore and pamper like nobody's business.

The female and male get on very well, she grooms him gently and he enjoys snuggling up beside her in their 'nest', but we were wondering when the male will get his bib?

We're not 100% on his age as we bought him from a garden centre but he has the markings of a bib that makes him look like he has little white dangling earrings on and has a small amount around his beak and we assume he is quite young due to his immature behavior (not showing any mating ritual behavior or not crowing much)

We'd love to know when we can expect him to grow his bib, or if he'll just not have one.

Thank you for your time and help.

2. chickenquail

chickenquail Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    Australia
    Well congradulations on getting them first off
    Now for the bib part he will most likely get a bigger bib after he turns 5 weeks but some get it earlier but most get it around 5 wks but after about 3 months old he should have a bib but if he doesn't get one thats ok its not uncommon

HOPE THIS HELPS
    FROM THE QUAIL FARM
    AND MY CHICKENS

3. Quail-Crazy

Jan 21, 2012
    Brilliant, thank you.

It's not an issue for us, we were just wondering. :)

Thanks!

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    If you look in the stickies, I have posted the different varieties of CBBQ.

5. Quail-Crazy

Jan 21, 2012
    thank you! :D

6. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    If you haven't already go to (click on her site its in blue on her posts) Lots of great INFO.She is The QUAIL LADY Thanks go out to you for asking and QL for answering....cva34

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by