When will he start crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wannabe_goatmom, May 22, 2010.

1. wannabe_goatmom

wannabe_goatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    So, I have my first cockerel and he is adorable and sweet and cuddly. What I am wondering is...when will all of that stop? I am loving all the sweetness but I just can't wait to hear him start trying to crow. About what age should I expect him to start trying to crow? What age will he start to lose the sweetness and start acting like a rooster?

I guess I should add he is a 6 week old Barred Rock.

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Just because he's a rooster doesn't mean he is going to stop being nice! I have a 2 month old roo and he flys out of the brooder to cuddle with me!!! Um, they start to try to crow around ... maybe 4 - 5 months old. [​IMG] Some sooner just depends on the breed. [​IMG]

3. txmel

txmel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    boerne, tx
    i have 2 roosters the silkie rooster started to crow at about 6 weeks old( kindof a weak and rather pathetic crow but a crow none the less). my other rooster is a sussex and he just started to crow about 3 weeks ago and he is about 17 weeks old now. hope this helps some [​IMG]

4. wannabe_goatmom

wannabe_goatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    Thanks!
    I'm hoping he stays nice...I make sure I hold him 2 or 3 times every day so he is used to me and knows I'm the boss.

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I have a little Cochin bantam roo that is 7 weeks old and has been "crowing" since he was 4 weeks old! None of the other roos (all regular size) that hatched the same time as he did are crowing yet and hopefully won't for a long time.

6. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I thought I had a crowfree roo but he did crow in his own time and he was sweet and now he is a sneak attack thong hating little future EL POLLO LOCO destined for Coco VIN. I have to wear sturdy boots now because the rotten bugger has taken to pecking at my feet when I least expect it. If I can catch em I am gonna eat him!
    Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by