When will he start doing his "manly" duties?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Azriel, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    So I have this huge beautiful black 1/2 English Orp boy. He hatched the end of May, so he is 6-7months old. When will he start showing some interest in the girls? He has started doing the treat call, and he has a big, loud cockadodool-do but hasn't started "entertaining" the ladys yet. I want to put him in a breeding pen with my best blue,black Orp girls, but with no "entertaining" I won't be getting any fertile eggs. (Any little blue pills for chickens?)

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

He should start mating anytime. Is he intimidated by another roo?

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Anytime! If he is with older hens he might have to do some convincing he is ready. Some older hens can really be hard on young roosters!

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    My orps have always been slower to mature than my others. My buff did not crow until he was 8 or 9 months old, he was not interested in hens at all until he was close to a year old. My two white orps are 9 months old now and have been crowing for a few months. They have just started "noticing" the girls.

5. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    My Jersey Giant is only 18 weeks old now and he has been trying to be "the man" for awhile now. He usually only gets a few feathers before he gets his butt kicked by the hen of interest. I don't know if his early interest is because he is the only male, there are older females or if its just the breed.

I can't wait for him to figure it out and do a proper job of it. So embarrassing watching him fail and then get chased all over the yard by a frustrated female.

6. mnabity

mnabity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Eagar, AZ
    Any chance he has already started performing his 'duties' and you just haven't caught him yet?

My silkie roo just hit 6 months and I caught him in the act the other day. By his awkwardness I would say he hasn't been at it long. I've only had a few roos reach maturity but from my experience its been around 6 months for each one so I think yours should start any day now.

7. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I really don't think he has started looking as the girls as anything but just other chickens yet. He is in a mixed age flock and I've never seen any of the girls go after him. My EE roo is the head man, but they are the same age and I have never seen any confrontation between them. I'm not useing one of my pens, should I just move him and his girls in there and see what happens?

8. I would give him so ladies without the presence of the EE roo. It sounds like he is #2 and this does have an effect on breeding. Put him with whom you want in a separate area/pen and see what happens.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A dominant rooster can actually suppress testosterone production in a subordinate. If you have the pen, I would suggest putting him and his hens in the separate area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by