When will he stop being the village idiot and start being valiant?

superchemicalgirl

HEN PECKED
11 Years
Jan 10, 2010
Vacationland, Maine
All my chickens are a bit over 11 weeks old. From what I can tell I've got 30 hens and 1 rooster. The rooster is my "surprise free rare chick" - a polish. I have no other crested breeds for comparison.

He's an idiot. I'm not sure this is all due to his crest. I started letting the girls free range on the 4th (I thought of no better time than independence day). They got a few hours yesterday and a few hours today. HE DID NOT NOTICE THAT THE RUN DOOR WAS OPEN NOR DID HE SEEM TO BE CONCERNED THAT 2/3 OF HIS GIRLS WERE MISSING. Either day.

I read on here that people have roosters with their free ranging flock that call girls over for food and round them up at night, while also looking out for predators. I realize he's young but when does this behavior start? Other roo behavior has already started - no wonder he's an idiot. Can't see and full of testosterone.

I did want a rooster but if he's going to be stupid, ridiculous looking and good for nothing he's not staying around. Just ask my ex husband
wink.png

They don't start the "good" behavior for a while.
roll.png
Just think about teenaged boys...only worry about one thing...the other stuff comes later.
smack.gif
He'll probably be a good roo. You'll just have to give it a bit.

Shelly

Thanks for the advice. I figured he was young and I was being hard on him but I have never seen an animal so oblivious to his surroundings...

And yeah, I'm hard on everything in my life. Ya gotta earn your keep! He doesn't have to be perfect, but he does need to come up with some redeeming quality.

My rooster, he's a great roo.
He makes sure all his girls are with him all the time and if one isn't he runs to find her.
He feeds them food, he holds bread in his beak and lets the hens take it.
He wasn't always like this though, it took him a few months to get there.
By the time he was sexually mature he just started acting this way.

The mature decent roosters are over a year old at least and best at two and up... Let him grow up a little before you judge his skills. He has to figure out what is expected... and to hit his "stride"

I'm pretty new to everything... so I am simply wondering if 30 hens to one rooster isn't quite a lot. We expect better odds from kindergarten teachers who have college degrees and opposable thumbs.

Jenny

He's young yet. He'll get the hang of it. Might help him to put his POOF up in a barette though. Can't exactly warn the girls about something if you can't see it. Make it a pink barette.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Well, if fertility is the issue, then one does need about 3 roosters per 10 hens. But you can bet he won't ride any ladies so hard they'll lose back feathers, with 30 from which to choose!

Back
Top Bottom