when will he stop?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by showjumper_girl2002, Mar 8, 2012.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    i have one male and one female scovy. my male has reached sexual maturity and has been breeding with my hen. however he has turned into dr jeckyl and mr hyde! i'll go out and see them and he'll be friendly one minute and then aggressive the next. he is normally very friendly and only started this a little after he started to breed with my hen. it's wierd though because it's not all the time. [​IMG] he also goes a little crazy and runs around like a maniac (he usually does that after i tell him its not ok to go after me) in no particular direction or purpose. its like he has energy or frustration and doesn't know what else to do with it [​IMG]. well my hen has started laying eggs and i thought the breeding would be over but he still goes after her and continues his dr jeckyl mr hyde personality with me [​IMG] when do they stop breeding for the season so i have my normal sweet boy back! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My Muscovy drake is acting the same way, when he goes after me I pick him up and dump him in the pool, kinda like a cold shower, sometimes he comes out and after me again usually after 2 dumps in the pool he goes about his business, since mine has 3 girls to mate with it makes it a little easier on the girls. even though he is constaly after one of them. We have this to put up with till late August early Sept. maybe longer depending on where you live. Hang in there is all those hormones.

3. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida

It lasts that long?! Oh boy! :lol: he's a stubborn one I've tried pinning him down and giving him time outs away from my hen and me but it doesn't seem to faze him :/ I'll try the pool thing :lol:

4. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

Its the season. It will lesson a bit. I keep several males with many females, and they mostly just mess with each other and the girls, but a lot more in springrime.

This too shall pass (more or less)

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    The problem with these 2 drakes mine and yours showjumper is they imprinted on us, and see us as part of their harem, My boy can be so sweet let me pick him up and cuddle with him then next time I see him he is attacking me and wanting to make babies. They are a bit confused I think.

6. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

Oh, your babies are handraised mostly alone? Yeah, I've heard of that personality issue. Mine are kept with other baby ducks, and reared with them, so I'm a member of the "aagh! Its a People" party. They waddle like crazy far away, even at feed time. I only get close them them when I'm shuttin them into their duck sheds at night.

We do hold our babies some, but its not the same bond others seem to get. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by