when will hens start laying ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Loretta212, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Loretta212

Loretta212 Songster

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    i have a couple amerecana hens about 5 months old when should i start to see some eggs?
    here is a pic of one of my girls
    [​IMG]

2. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Songster

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    Hopefully soon. I've had some start around five months and some made me wait till seven months.

3. Loretta212

Loretta212 Songster

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    i just cant wait to see what colors their eggs turn out to be!

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Crowing Premium Member

Not tomorrow, from that picture. I don't see full signs of sexual maturity yet. When they are ready and not a day earlier, of course. For slow maturing birds, that can be 26 weeks, or well into 2012 for you, it would appear. Hey, if it happens sooner, you'll be delighted.

5. Mother_Hen2011

Mother_Hen2011 Songster

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    My Easter Eggers didnt start laying till about 7 months old.. [​IMG] They will lay when they are ready. They will do what is called a "squat" when you walk up to them and they will slightly spread their wings and squat down for you to pat their back and rub their tails [​IMG]

That means that they will be laying soon. Also their combs and face will start to turn BRIGHT red [​IMG]

6. Loretta212

Loretta212 Songster

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    Quote:i only see them do that in the giant holes they are digging everywhere lol what do i look for someone said their faces will turn bright red how else can you tell they are reaching that point?

7. top of the hill

top of the hill Chirping

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Quote:i only see them do that in the giant holes they are digging everywhere lol what do i look for someone said their faces will turn bright red how else can you tell they are reaching that point?

They'll start checking out the nest, red comb and wattles and the tell tale sign... the squat. You'll know it when you see it, trust me!

On a side note, 2 of my ameraucanas started laying around 26 weeks, the other around 30. Patience, it shouldup happen soon. And once they start they will be the most beautiful eggs you've seen!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011

8. acw123

acw123 Songster

Mar 31, 2011
    Charlottesville
    I have 2 and one started laying at about 6 months and the other is still holding out on me and they are almost 8 months old now.

9. Gerry2011

Gerry2011 Chirping

Jul 8, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    This question may well qualify as a "brain fart", but which comes first, the hen ready for laying or the rooster mounting the hen? Yesterday my apprx. 4 month old bcm roo mounted my 8 old blk. Ameracuana hen....well, very briefly because my Am roo ran over and knocked him out of the saddle! [​IMG] So is she ready to lay or he is just practicing his moves? Her wattles are not prominent like my dellies, so I can't tell by that, but she's certainly old enough. Have not seen any tendency to squat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by