1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when will hens start sitting on eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by donjr721, Sep 22, 2010.

1. donjr721

donjr721 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    i was just wondering, when i should see the hens sitting on the eggs. they just started laying last week. they are all 24 wks old, combination of rhode island reds, comets, and dominiques.

2. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    [​IMG]. Mistery. They tend to go broody in spring or summer. A few can be broody in winter. Some , never in there lives.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    None of those breeds are particularly broody, so I wouldn't expect any of them to sit on eggs. Broody hens are hens that are hormonally charged and will sit on a nest of eggs to hatch. Broodiness is not a desired trait in laying hens because the broodies stop laying for a significant period of time. A lot of your production breeds like RIRs and GSLs (Golden Comets) have had broodiness bred out of them to increase their laying. If you want to hatch some eggs either get an incubator or a silkie hen. Silkies are well known for going broody.

Good luck.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  5. donjr721

donjr721 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2010
    that's good to know, we mainly wanted them for egglaying. thanks. i guess if we want chics, we will have to hatch ourselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by