When will Hens "wean" Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MayberrySaint, Aug 28, 2008.

1. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    My three ex-broody hens are raising 9 chicks that are now almost 3 weeks old...
    1. When can I expect the hens to start laying again?
    2. Will the chicks or hens initiate a "weaning" and become more independent? What age might this occur?
    3. Will I have to force a separation? If so, what age would be best?
    I love to see the hens and chicks free-range around the yard, but I know the family-setting has to end sometime...

2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    all hens are different but with my chicken her chick was with her till she was 7 weeks she began to lay again at 7 weeks aftering hatching this chick. I decided to remove the chick myself because the hen became broody again and began to set. So I thought it be a good choice to remove the chick. Momma hen still was taking care of the chick at 7 weeks.

3. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Quote:[​IMG] Hey Andy,
    #1. 2 to 3 months
    #2. The hens will start weaning them,but depends on the hen. It'll start usually before the hen starts laying again.
    #3. I wouldn't.
    I just let nature work it out. I have one mother hen that never really weaned her babies.They would follow her around even when she started laying again.After sometime the young ones started to do their own thing.
    This other hen a Buff Orp was more than ready to do her own thing after 2 months.
    I've noticed with all the mother hens & babies I've had, they stay away from the rest of the flock.

4. Ginger7572

Ginger7572 New Egg

Nov 6, 2012
    Along a similar thread...what about weaning a "chick" from a duck? My Indian Runner hatched a chicken six days before hatching four of her own ducklings. The chick is 4 weeks and seems more bonded with "mom" than the ducklings at this point. Mom watches the other adults as she and the babies are still separated and seems like she wants to be with the rest of the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by