1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When will I expect eggs from these girls??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by imogene08, Oct 4, 2013.

1. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    So I have a few pullets that I just can't wait for them to lay but I wondering when they will lay they squat when I go to pick them up only one has taken a trip to
    Investigate the nest box so when will they lay??
    [​IMG]
    Smokey are Araucuna mix she squats put is very skittish around people
    [​IMG] Matilda are buff orph she is the last in pecking order and squats
    [​IMG] Bailey are other buff orph she squats ad was the first to investigate the boxes
    [​IMG]Kimmy are Barred rock she doesn't squat
    [​IMG] Gussie are black star she doesn't squat ether

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    They look to be a few weeks from laying. Their combs are still pale and not developed yet. Squatting is a sign of them being willing to mate. It often precedes laying by a few weeks as well or they may not squat at all. I have a GLW pullet that pecks at me when I open the POP door in the grow out tractor, I started to poke back. At around 10 weeks I pinched her feathers on her neck and she squatted. At that age she was only at best half way to laying age. Her squatting was a sign of submission to a high higher rank, not mating. Not saying yours aren't getting ready to mate, but squatting is only one sign and IMO a mixed one.

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Look at the Orpington and Plymouth rock combs in the right hand margin under "Recent Reviews" These hens combs will give you a good idea of when to stock up on cured ham to go with your fresh eggs. [​IMG]

4. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Thanks guys any ideas which hen will start laying first though?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by