When will I expect eggs from these girls??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by imogene08, Oct 4, 2013.

1. imogene08

imogene08 Chirping

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    So I have a few pullets that I just can't wait for them to lay but I wondering when they will lay they squat when I go to pick them up only one has taken a trip to
    Investigate the nest box so when will they lay??
    [​IMG]
    Smokey are Araucuna mix she squats put is very skittish around people
    [​IMG] Matilda are buff orph she is the last in pecking order and squats
    [​IMG] Bailey are other buff orph she squats ad was the first to investigate the boxes
    [​IMG]Kimmy are Barred rock she doesn't squat
    [​IMG] Gussie are black star she doesn't squat ether

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Songster

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    They look to be a few weeks from laying. Their combs are still pale and not developed yet. Squatting is a sign of them being willing to mate. It often precedes laying by a few weeks as well or they may not squat at all. I have a GLW pullet that pecks at me when I open the POP door in the grow out tractor, I started to poke back. At around 10 weeks I pinched her feathers on her neck and she squatted. At that age she was only at best half way to laying age. Her squatting was a sign of submission to a high higher rank, not mating. Not saying yours aren't getting ready to mate, but squatting is only one sign and IMO a mixed one.

3. Look at the Orpington and Plymouth rock combs in the right hand margin under "Recent Reviews" These hens combs will give you a good idea of when to stock up on cured ham to go with your fresh eggs. [​IMG]

4. imogene08

imogene08 Chirping

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Thanks guys any ideas which hen will start laying first though?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by