When will I get eggs?!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jeremyhodges, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jeremyhodges

jeremyhodges Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    San Diego
    I'm at that point of checking every day (okay, who am I kidding, 7 times a day) for eggs! I have 5 hens. The oldest two are silkies, they are both 25 weeks old. The other three are an easter egger, an ameraucana, and a black copper maran and they are all 23 weeks old. A friend that shared my hatchery order with me got two wyandottes and two barred rocks that are the same age as my girls and she's been getting eggs for almost three weeks and is now getting at least three a day!! Is there anything I can do to help things along or do I just need to be patient? My girls have an amazing coop with an attached nest box so the environment seems ready. Also, we're in San Diego so haven't been having the horrible weather in other parts of the country. Any advice?

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    The breeds you picked are late maturing. Just be patient. My BCM waited 32 weeks to lay her first egg. I've had EEs wait as long as 28 weeks. I don't have personal experience with silkies but they aren't prolific layers either, and I'm not sure when they mature.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Agreed. I've had EEs wait until they were 33 weeks old to lay before, and my current batch of pullets is 33 weeks old and I haven't seen egg one from them yet, even though they are under lights and my other birds are laying well. I think those beasties are going to wait until Spring to lay their first egg. It's happened before with fall pullets at our place. [​IMG]

4. jeremyhodges

jeremyhodges Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    San Diego
    I got my first egg yesterday followed by number two today!! My Black Copper Maran laid them. She's 23 weeks old now. It's so exciting!!

Egg 1
    [​IMG]

Egg 2
    [​IMG]

5. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    See you just had to complain!;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by