When will I know gender?

Feb 17, 2021
Somewhere down in Texas
Hi everyone,
I ordered 2 batches of chicks from McMurray Hatchery and both came with a mystery chick. The first mystery chick was a BLRW, and the second was a Bielefelder cockerel. I know the Bielefelders gender but I’m new to Wyandotte’s and was wondering about what age I’ll be able to tell the gender. Today they are only 2 weeks and 2 days old so I’m pretty sure it’s to soon, but I was just curious. I attached pictures from today, even though I know they probably can’t tell y’all anything. I have 3 other cockerels in my brooder and 10 bantams which who knows how many are cockerels, so I’m hoping for a pullet, but I guess I can deal with another cockerel or rehome it if it’s a boy.
Thanks for any help!
-ChickenWhisperer101

813EBB22-3731-4176-A763-D6C2E2C8B922.jpeg 5452EE20-4ACC-461E-97D3-2E43CCBC896E.jpeg 40C99209-D2CE-4365-B236-9E4F6348DA22.jpeg

it is far too soon to reliably gender... but that comb width is suspicious.
It’s not really the width that was “concerned” me, it’s the raised part that was weird. I have to Columbian Wyandotte pullets from McMurray and they have redder combs than this one but they are flat and have no ridges or bumps on their comb. I guess we’ll know in 3-4 weeks.

Hi everyone,
I ordered 2 batches of chicks from McMurray Hatchery and both came with a mystery chick. The first mystery chick was a BLRW, and the second was a Bielefelder cockerel. I know the Bielefelders gender but I’m new to Wyandotte’s and was wondering about what age I’ll be able to tell the gender. Today they are only 2 weeks and 2 days old so I’m pretty sure it’s to soon, but I was just curious. I attached pictures from today, even though I know they probably can’t tell y’all anything. I have 3 other cockerels in my brooder and 10 bantams which who knows how many are cockerels, so I’m hoping for a pullet, but I guess I can deal with another cockerel or rehome it if it’s a boy.
Thanks for any help!
-ChickenWhisperer101

View attachment 2720901View attachment 2720902View attachment 2720903
I sexed my chicks when they were a few days old with their wings, I’m not sure if they’re too old. Can you attach a file of it with its wing pulled out?

Back
Top Bottom