When will I know my orpingtons are roos and will they get along

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bobbieschicks, Oct 24, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    So are the Lavender Orpingtons like my White Leghorns in that you can tell the roos from the pullets by around age 6 weeks? I know my leghorn roos had much larger combs that were red and wattles by the time they were that age and they started to crow shortly after that.

Also I've heard that Orpington roos are gentle in nature - is that true for the whole or is it depending on the rooster? Will a younger Orpington rooster get along with an older White Leghorn rooster? I have a now 14 week old WL roo who is head of our outside flock of 4 pullets (one 14 week old white leghorn, three 11 week olds - Ancona & 2 unknowns possibly EEs) and I am wondering how it will be when I introduce my latest hatchlings in there in about a month. I would LOVE it to be all pullets in my brooder (please) and no issues with younger roosters versus older roosters, but my past experience tells me that most in my brooder will be roos and only a few will be pullets.

I also have a 3 silkies in the brooder with my 5 lavenders and all are going to be 2 weeks old on Weds. When some of the silkies turn out to be roosters - will they merge in okay or will I have to get rid of them as well? UGH! All these issues - why can't I just have a 40 acre farm and let them all freerange and keep ALL the roosters! LOL!

2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    You can keep as many roos as you like, just make sure there are enough hens to go around [​IMG]

I have found all my Bo roos to be very docile, they are just a docile bird in general. If you let rooster chicks grow up with a rooster all should be well no matter the breed. The older one will just dominate the younger and they will get along fine, mine do anyways, I have 4 roosters running with 40ish hens for the winter and none have ever died yet and have also raised chicks many times with the flock with no issues.

3. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    That would be nice, but I don't think we could keep enough chicks to make a bunch of roosters happy. Our coop is only 10'x5' and the run is small as well. We planned on maybe 10 chickens in all and we already have 1 rooster. So, I doubt we'll be able to keep any more roosters without having problems in the flock.

4. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    surefire way to tell if its a hen or rooster

if it lays an egg, it's a hen

hope that helps [​IMG]

5. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I have two lav orp roos and I love them they such sweet big boys and I knew for certain when they were boys prob around 10 weeks old. I have prob 10-12 roos(bad at picking straight run) and 15 hens that have all been raised together and all get along they figured out pretty early on who was top dog ME [​IMG]. I thought having so many roo's would be a major problem but i everyone seems to have they seem to have their own clicks and favorite girls and perches. I am rehoming 2 of my Blue Andy roos and 2 hens(i had to sweeten the deal so he would take the boys) this week because I like the more docil roo's and Rio spurred my daughter [​IMG] twice within seconds.

6. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:Thanks for your answer - I am thinking they will be fine once I get everyone together in the coop. I'm hoping to merge everyone by the time they're 6 weeks old. I'll start at 4 weeks by moving them to the outside brooder and then into the main coop once they've all had a chance to get to know each other through the hardware cloth.

7. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:HAHA!

8. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Quote:Thanks for your answer - I am thinking they will be fine once I get everyone together in the coop. I'm hoping to merge everyone by the time they're 6 weeks old. I'll start at 4 weeks by moving them to the outside brooder and then into the main coop once they've all had a chance to get to know each other through the hardware cloth.

You're welcome glad I could help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by