When will I stop the worrying???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nicole01, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    When will I stop worrying about the chicks? I check on the brooder about a thousand times a day. I brought home a new baby 2 days ago and I'm losing sleep over the brooder temp. I want it warm enough for Annabelle(6 days old today), but not too warm for the 4 week olds. At least the 4 week olds are helping the baby. They take their turns to lay by her. Also, to my surprise, the 4 week olds are not stepping on the baby. They will walk around her or jump over her.

2. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    are you able to set the brooder where one side is warmer than the other? that way the older chicks can get relief from the heat, if it is too much for them. if you see them panting or staying far away from the heat source it is too hot. the baby will need that heat though. we had the opposite where we had one older chick and the rest were babies (9 of them). the older (ginger) was too hot in the beginning, she would pant, but was able to adapt to the heat for the babies and they are all thriving now at almost 2 months old. the worrying will stop, trust me!! i checked on them all the time too [​IMG]

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Yes, the one end is 75 degrees and the other is 90 under the light. I'm constantly checking on them and the 4 week olds do lay under the light with the baby. I have nice girls.[​IMG]

4. Chihuahuamom444

Chihuahuamom444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Im a bad chick mama, I Never check temps or anything, I put a light over a nice large cage, give em food and water and that's it, if they are cold they sit under the light and if they aren't they go to the other side (they prefer the light of course) But everyone is totally content and growing....so don't stress about it, they will be fine !! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  5. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Quote:sounds like you have it set up perfect [​IMG] Yes, I was surprised by how social and "loving" towards one another they are when they are babies. They somewhat grow out of that and now that mine are 2 months, they have their sibling fights but still tuck in with each other at night, it is darling [​IMG]

6. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    I was like that until they were about a week old.. most of mine were shipped and quite stressed out so I lost some the first few hours and that made me worry even more. I now have 21 2 week old chicks and am getting 3 silkie chicks pretty soon! chicks are very stressful and messy.. but so worth it! [​IMG] enjoy them and you shouldnt have to worry too much longer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by