When will me EEs start laying? - They are 5 months

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sgsf, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    When will me Easter Eggers start laying? They are 5 months, and maybe a week or so. I have two, and neither of them are laying. Can I expect any very soon?

2. crosbygroup

crosbygroup Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine started laying a little before 20 weeks. Do you have any pictures? Are their combs getting red? Are they squatting when you try and pet them? Mine start to squat about a week before she started to lay.

3. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Idaho
    One of my EE's started not long after my Leghorns she was about 18 wks but the rest waited till after 24 weeks..

4. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    4.5 months to 8 months.Most of mine lay around 6 months but have had a few early and a few later..really depends on what breeding is in there.

5. animalbaby4everandalwyz

animalbaby4everandalwyz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    West Tennessee
    my chickens usually lay around 6 mts

but not always ...

6. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    They should start anytime. For ours, it was about 20 weeks. It is hard waiting for that first green or blue egg, but they should start soon.

7. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    I have two EE that are 18 weeks. Neither has started laying but I saw one checking out and getting in the nest box today so at least she's thinking about it! My Ameraucana laid at 24 weeks. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but I was pretty excited to get a blue egg!

8. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    My EE hen didn't lay until she was almost 9 months old. We were beginning to think she was a he. Now Piggy is 2 plus and gives me three blue eggs a week, but that's okay she's staying her lifetime.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by