When will me EEs start laying? - They are 5 months

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sgsf, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    When will me Easter Eggers start laying? They are 5 months, and maybe a week or so. I have two, and neither of them are laying. Can I expect any very soon?

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    It can vary a lot....most chickens start laying around 20-28 weeks. I have one EE that really late. I have read posts of an EE that was 9 months old when she started laying.....Give it some time, she may be a late bloomer [​IMG]

3. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Try going away for a weekend. They usually start when you leave. [​IMG]

Patience. How red are the combs? Do they squat for you? Are they checking out the nest boxes? Do they sing the egg song? What are you feeding them?

4. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    Quote:Not sure, can't really see them. Not sure what you mean. I don't have any. No. Regular chicken feed from the store, and bred occasionally.

5. patman75

Quote:Not sure, can't really see them. Not sure what you mean. I don't have any. No. Regular chicken feed from the store, and bred occasionally.

If there pea combs are pink they are not ready. If they are dark red then they will be laying soon. If you go to pet your chickens they stop, put their wings half out and squat. Squating is like a chicken saying "go ahead and mate with me" they do this for people as if you are the rooster. If they are squating they are getting close to laying. Are you giving them "layer feed"? Or "grower" feed?

6. Sgsf

May 4, 2010

If there pea combs are pink they are not ready. If they are dark red then they will be laying soon. If you go to pet your chickens they stop, put their wings half out and squat. Squating is like a chicken saying "go ahead and mate with me" they do this for people as if you are the rooster. If they are squating they are getting close to laying. Are you giving them "layer feed"? Or "grower" feed?

Yes, one of them does the squatting thing. And I'll have to go check the combs. And I believe it's grower feed, it looks like mashed up corn in a way.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Many of my EEs and Ameraucanas don't lay until they are 8 or 9 months old. They are just slow that way.

8. patman75

Quote:If there pea combs are pink they are not ready. If they are dark red then they will be laying soon. If you go to pet your chickens they stop, put their wings half out and squat. Squating is like a chicken saying "go ahead and mate with me" they do this for people as if you are the rooster. If they are squating they are getting close to laying. Are you giving them "layer feed"? Or "grower" feed?

Yes, one of them does the squatting thing. And I'll have to go check the combs. And I believe it's grower feed, it looks like mashed up corn in a way.

If it is grower feed you need to switch to "layer" layer has additional nutrients for egg laying. Also get them so oyster shells so they can add additional calcium if they want it.

Good luck! Hopefully you will get some green and blue eggs.

9. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    Wow...8 to 9 months? I can't wait that long.

10. CCFarms9559

CCFarms9559 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Jeffersontown, Ky
    Mine are 4-1/2 months and .... nothing. I'm waiting with you. Just this week their combs are starting to get bigger..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by