When will Mum lay eggs after hatching her babies...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pookado, Dec 24, 2007.

1. pookado

pookado New Egg

Dec 10, 2007
    Hi All [​IMG]

I was just wondering when(approx) a Mum hen will start to lay eggs again after hatching [​IMG] [​IMG] beautiful babies. We believe the chicks are approx. 7-8 weeks old.

[​IMG]..[​IMG]

I put a hardboiled egg in the coop - and later discovered she had hidden it deep inside the hay... is this normal?

Cheers,
    Melissa

2. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    My silkie hens start to push their brood away between 6-8 weeks old. Within 1-2 weeks after that I start to get eggs.[​IMG]

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    My girls have always started laying before they left the little ones. Normally when the chicks are 6-8 weeks old, but 'Big Sis' stayed with Stella till Stella was 13 weeks old. I think that was because Stella was her only and first chick.

That was always the warning sign that momma was getting ready to give them up. It was cute to see all those babies bouncing around the opening of a nest just waiting for momma to hurry up. They just didn't understand why momma wasn't walking them around the yard.

Matt
    Morganton, NC

4. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

I find that once the chicks can forage and feed themselves and are 6-8 weeks old ,the mum will start to lay again, perhaps she is going to go broody again quickly so remove the egg and wait till the rooster does his job or let her have a rest from chicks for a while.

5. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    Our chicks are almost 5 months old, mom is still trying to take care of them and she just started laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by