When will muscovy attempt to mount and mate?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dannyj1991, Aug 11, 2013.

1. dannyj1991

dannyj1991 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2013
    so i have been trying everything lately to get my 7 month year old muscovy drake in the mood. Lately he has been showing signs he wants to mate, he has been following and pecking at my sucks tail and also pulling at the back of her neck. So i have been putting them both in a small enclosure and sure enough he's starting to get frisky! im so happy lol but my duck does not want any of it, what i want to know is when will he attempt to grab and mount like all the video i have been saying thanks

2. decomposed

decomposed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    one of my drakes was mounting my female when he was 5 months old but it took my other drake at least 8 months to start

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Well around here most boys by 4-5mths have become a royal pain! some do have more drive than others, but by pushing 5mths i have 3 that are beyond too much, i sold one, the two others are driving me insane.

That said, i wouldn't push it, nor overly confine, the well being of my ladies is priority #1 so i'd let them sort it out, if your still seeing nothing then perhaps his drive is low and you could consider getting a different drake or wait till next year, i wouldn't want nests setting now, too late too soon to winter.

Forgot to ask what is the age of the duck?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  4. dannyj1991

Jul 24, 2013
    he is 7 months she is 1,5yo, im actually down under and our season our opposite to the us, its just coming out of winter now and into spring

5. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Gotcha! has she ever set before? what are the dynamics like? how many drakes, ducks etc... I ask because that can play a role in how things work for breeding, here honestly, i am constantly trying to get mine to stop. They drive me bonkers with it and again the drive of my young drakes here cause chaos often lol

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  6. dannyj1991

Jul 24, 2013
    Lol, thanks for update, i only have 1 pair and neither of them have mated before i got them both from ducklings. I bought my duck at a swap market for 2 bucks just on a wim and it turned out to be a duck so i was very happy when she started laying eggs at about 9 months old, but i notices she was showing signs of loneliness so i purchased another duckling and hoped they would bond, it took about 2 weeks but she did except it and they became good friends, i have only recently known for sure he is a drake because he sounds different to her and is showing frisky signs, i have read that if there is more than 1 drake it encourages breeding but i don't want to purchase another for that reason. She is a great broody duck and sits religiously on every clutch she has lay i sneak a few though lol, im hoping he will attempt to mount her soon and hopefully she will submit because i would love to let them have some chicks

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Yeah, definitely don't add more drakes unless you add more ducks, minimum is 2-3 per drake, even when you do drakes argue, i usually keep only 2 but i have surplus from the 2 clutches this year.

They've been together since young, so it may take a bit of time, again drives vary, you do know Muscovy eggs take an average of 35 days to incubate? and yes drakes only hiss, females, trill, coo, quack and hiss lol usually size shows the differences drakes outsize females considerably. If your just moving into spring, there is hope, some girls are more broody than others, i had one sit through feb, they hatched in Mar, now considering that is winter here it was a dumb idea lol but the clutch went on, and she got 4 out of 5 eggs to hatch.

She has areas to nest in? mind you i find they often find their own, my horses barn, my poor barn cats box lol when they wanna sit they can be rather determined creatures. good luck to you!

8. dannyj1991

Jul 24, 2013
    thanks all good info, one thing im noticing the more and more i look, my drake doesn't seem to much bigger than my duck?

9. Dmitry

Dmitry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2013
    20-28 weeks (5-7 months) and water at least 1ft deep helps them with the mating process

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by