When will my Americaunas start laying???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by janetmiller57, Nov 7, 2014.

1. janetmiller57

janetmiller57 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2014
    I have six chickens. Two Black Australorps, two Silverlaced Wyandottes and two Americaunas. I got these all at the same time on April 2nd. All but the Americaunas are laying. It is now early November and still no eggs from them. I thought they would lay around 6 months of age or so but still nothing. Yes, they are hens!

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    Some breeds take longer than others and then factor in that the days are getting shorter and colder which will also make it take longer for the hens to start laying. I have some that hatched out at the end of March and they still aren't laying.

A few things to look at, are their combs bright and red? and when you place a hand on their backs will they squat? If yes to both then they should be laying soon.

3. janetmiller57

janetmiller57 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2014
    Thanks for the help. Yes, at least one of them is squatting and her comb is pretty red so every day I eagerly go to the nesting box hoping for a green egg. I can wait no hurry really. Thanks again.

4. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    Usually within 2 weeks of the submissive squat they lay. Fingers crossed it's soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by