When will my barred rock lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MrOrpington16, Oct 15, 2013.

1. MrOrpington16

MrOrpington16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    MA
    So I adopted my bared rock and had her for a moth or so... She had bright yellow legs and now are fading ... She hasn't grew much but her combs and waddles are much larger... She has to be Atleast 5 moths or so! She doesn't squat and still runs away from me.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pipemum

pipemum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    looks pretty red to me, but her comb seems a bit small. I have zero experience with barred rocks actually laying, so yeah, I'm about zero help to you. My barred rocks are 23 weeks, have had red faces for weeks and more pronounced combs and wattles than yours, and aren't laying yet. They started squatting a couple of days ago, so I guess soon? I'm so impatient. Feels like I've owned them forever! Here's to hoping we both get some eggs soon!

1 person likes this.
  3. MrOrpington16

Aug 28, 2013
    MA
    Yes, it is very hard to wait;).... I have a a 6 moth old Easter egged and she has a very small comb:( so it looks like she won't be changing for a while

4. kwestley

kwestley Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    My barred rocks started to lay around 22 weeks. They are good layer, so worth waiting for it!! I know how it feels to wait for the first EGG!! Been there, done that!! [​IMG]

By the way, my chickens never squat for me (even now!!), so don't count on it!! You might have a surprise soon!

5. MrOrpington16

Aug 28, 2013
    MA

Thank you so much!!! :D It is so hard to wait!! I have many of the breeds you do! I have a light brahma, buff Orpington, barred rock, and Easter egger... My Easter eager is 6 months old and has a small comb and I am hoping she will lay soon!::/

6. pipemum

Apr 8, 2013
    My EE, the only laying chicken I have, started to lay at exactly 6 months! Good luck! Her comb is still small, but her face and comb got red, red, red.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  7. kwestley

kwestley Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2013
    All my chickens are 25 weeks old and only 4 of them are laying. They are the two barred rocks and the two black sexlinks!! One of my buffs has almost no comb and the same as my EE and brahma!!
    Actually, my eggs collection is either 2 or 3 eggs each day, except yesterday we had 4!!! I shouldn't complain to you since at least I have some chickens that lay!!! :)

I live in Anchorage, Alaska, so the daylight is getting shorter and shorter. I have a light in the coop right now from 6am to 10am then 6pm to 8pm. Maybe that helps them to keep laying!!

1 person likes this.
  8. pipemum

Apr 8, 2013
    Well, surprise, surprise, I came home last night to a tiny brown egg. One of my barred rocks had laid her first egg! Woohoo! Not to rub it in, MrOrpington--she'll be laying soon!

1 person likes this.
  9. MrOrpington16

Aug 28, 2013
    MA

Congratulations!! ;)

10. mithious

mithious Chillin' With My Peeps

My 14 BR hatchery pullets are 29 weeks and not one egg. They have had red faces for weeks, almost 2 months now, and I have been hearing the "egg song" that long also...my cockerel hasn't even crowed yet. What is up with that????

I could see if they were heritage birds, but they came from a hatchery and look more like Dom's than BR's ( only a couple have actual barring, except the cockerel, and he has great barring for a hatchery bird) so they aren't any where near close to the SOP ( the pullets look more like Dom's with a single comb than BR's) ...I have no idea why they are not laying.

I can't figure this out either...I know the light is shorter and expected it to be a bit longer than usual, but am getting worried, as they will be 30 weeks starting this Sat. Unfortunately, this year, I don't have the option for adding light either!

They are happy, healthy, no problems I can tell. feel, or see....I'm stumped...anyone have any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by