When will my broody get up??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SunnyDayz, Mar 7, 2012.

1. SunnyDayz

SunnyDayz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Sunny FL
    Momma banty hen is on day 17 of sitting. There are about 6 eggs that have been in her nest since day one, but there are also a few late commers that the other hens gave to her before I was able to section her area off (about a week after she started sitting). She is in a very difficult to navigate spot under the floor of the coop so I couldn't get under there to mark the eggs. I want to collect (very carefully with a garden rake, since there is no other way to get under there!) the extras after the 1st hatch and put them in the incubator...

Question~When should I collect the extras? How long will she keep the extras warm after the 1st few hatch? Will she get up and leave the nest right after the 1st ones are done hacthing?
    I'm assuming this plan will be a long shot, but I don't want the late comers just die... if I could at least try to save them.

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Each hen is different. Some first timers get up with the first chick. Most stay a day or two. Three days is possible, but after that she should get up to see to the first hatched. You will just have to watch her.

3. SunnyDayz

Apr 9, 2010
    Sunny FL
    Thanks for the info! Sunday will be day 21.
    How long could she spend off of the nest before the remainders are no longer alive?

I was thinking I would just go straight to lockdown after gathering the remainders. I believe most of the extra eggs will be around day 15-20. Does that sound alright?

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    How long depends on long it takes for them to cool down. How warm is it under the coop? Locking them down would be the way I'd do it. You could ask over in the hatching section to see what they think if you haven't already. Good luck.

5. SunnyDayz

Apr 9, 2010
    Sunny FL
    It's pretty warm right now, we're in FL so I imagine it's in the 80's and humid down there.
    I'll ask about lockdown in the hathching forum, thanks for the tip!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by