When will my chickens start laying and will winter affect the timing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MoototheCluck88, Nov 17, 2013.

1. MoototheCluck88

MoototheCluck88 Chillin' With My Peeps

When will my chickens start laying and will winter affect the timing [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They lay when their bodies are ready to lay, and not a day earlier.

Across the board, chickens begin to lay a 6 months of age. Some begin earlier at 5 months, and some later at 7 months. Individuals mature at different rates and different breeds are bred to perform differently.

As for winter, it is the lack of daylight hours, now in fall, that effect them the most. On Dec 22, in the northern hemisphere, the days will again grow longer. By February, the days are long enough for most birds to resume laying.

You can provide supplement lighting by having a light in their coop, run by a timer, and operate it from 4 am to 8 am each day to provide the necessary light "therapy". That is each flock keepers choice.

3. MoototheCluck88

They are all about 3 months old. Can't wait for them to lay [​IMG]

Thanks.

4. Katt66

Katt66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Barnesville, PA
    Yeah you've got a while to go yet. The wait is pure torture too. Just give them time. By Feb/March they should be ready. Perfect timing as the days are getting longer.

5. MoototheCluck88

They are all now 4 1/2 months old. No eggs yet, but we're ready to fry the first one. I hope there's not a chick in it. [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Ditto what Fred said.

You have a while to wait yet.

7. MoototheCluck88

Yesterday we finally got our first egg! [​IMG]

8. Faraday40

Faraday40 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    Congrats on the 1st egg! We're in a similar situation. Around Christmas (at 5 months age) the girls' combs turned red & they started squatting when being pet. (BTW- In Northern IL, this winter's been especially brutal!) Two pullets started laying in the middle of the first Artic blast with -30'F temps, and each lay 5-6 eggs/week. The rest of the pullets now over 28 weeks have yet to give us a single egg. I never added supplemental light, since they weren't old enough to lay at the start of winter. They are Mutts / Easter eggers, so I have no breed info to go on. My husbands jokes if he's not going to get eggs for breakfast he'll be having chicken for dinner.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They all mature at their own rates and will lay when their bodies are ready.

10. Faraday40

Faraday40 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 1, 2013
    Illinois
    [​IMG]
    Hooray! One of our Easter-eggers made an egg!
    I'm so excited, you'd think I laid it myself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by