When will my chickens start laying eggs?

EmeraldRuby

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 18, 2014
Florida
I have 2 RIR chickens and 2 Barred Rocks. They are 16 weeks and 4 days old. I am thing they will start laying in a month or 2 but I dont really know.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Most breeds start to lay sometime between 5 and 6 months of age. So you still have a ways to go. When the combs, faces and wattles are full and really red, and the birds start to squat for you, the eggs should be coming down the pipes soon! You will then want to get them on Layer feed and pick up some oyster shell too when you get the layer feed.

You can start them on layer a few weeks before they start laying so they have plenty of calcium in them for good strong egg shells.

Good luck and I hope they start laying soon!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on TwoCrows advice. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hens laying.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good advice/links above, hope those first eggs show up soon!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Most hens start laying between 5-7 months of age. If they are squatting, singing, checking out the nests and their combs and wattles are big and red, those eggs are not far behind! Feed them a layer feed with either eggshells or oyster shells on the side.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/eggshells-for-laying-hens

Glad you joined!

Back
Top Bottom