When will my chickens stop mating (in Montana)?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Squeaky's mom, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Squeaky's mom

Squeaky's mom New Egg

Apr 23, 2010
    How long can I expect my 5 month old chicks to continue mating with each other? And the 2 other hens? We're in Montana, BTW.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Squeaky's mom :

How long can I expect my 5 month old chicks to continue mating with each other? And the 2 other hens? We're in Montana, BTW.

I'm really not understanding what your asking! Your rooster will continue to mate with the hens! They won't stop!

Missi​

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Its not a phse with chickens-the minute they first mate they are in it for life-all day everyday! you need 1 roo per 8-10 hens to keep everyone at a capatable safe level

4. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I'm confused. They won't stop mating once they start. You mentioned 5 month olds and then 'others.' How many roosters do you have and how many hens? Are the 'others' really young, to where you'd need to protect them?

5. Squeaky's mom

Squeaky's mom New Egg

Apr 23, 2010
    Oh oops.........We have turkeys and they stop laying & mating in the fall. We also have 1 white Japanese black-tailed bantam rooster, a red star hen & a black star hen. The babies are 9 bantam chicks and 1 turken all about 21 weeks old.[​IMG]

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Chickens don't reproduce in seasons like game birds or turkeys, geese, etc. Chickens mate year-round, though it may slow down in the colder months it certainly won't stop.

7. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    They will stop when you get rid of the rooster. [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They'll stop mating in Montana when you move them out of Montana, and then they will continue to mate wherever they are.[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Oh, I'm so glad somebody else responded the way I fought so hard NOT to respond. [​IMG]

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Oh, I'm so glad somebody else responded the way I fought so hard NOT to respond. [​IMG]

i was gonna say "When the roo is dead." but then with some I've had, I'm not too sure.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by