1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When will my chicks like me??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PeepsAreForMe, Apr 18, 2012.

1. PeepsAreForMe

PeepsAreForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    I have 5 chicks, all 2 1/2 weeks old. Three GLS's and two bantams. Every time I put my hand in the rooster slowly they freak out. I try to do this as much as I can and I do pick them up but I work so I can only try in the morning and after work. I had them outside for an hour the other day, it was beautiful and I thought they were getting over their fear of me. They have no interest in freeze dried mealworms or live earthworms. It seems like they forget who I am after a day! Will they ever like me picking them up? I read about people who's chicks come running to them and I am a bit jealous!!

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The more you handle them the better they get. When you start giving them treats, when they start liking the treats, they'll eat from your hand and come running when you call to them. I think chickens are more food motivated then looking for affection. But then I've never worked to get a lap chicken either, as long as they come when I call and I can get them to squat when they are older to pick them up easy I'm happy.

3. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    It does take a while for the chicks to get to know you. At 2 and a half weeks, they are probably more concerned with other things like... eating? :lol: Anyway, keep at it, it sounds like you're doing everything you can. In time, they will grow to know you (at first, our chicks were terrified of us, they didn't start following us until they were at five or six weeks old)

It's also okay if you can't spend oodles of time wiith them. When our second two chicks were young, we went on holiday for three weeks. Made up for lost ground when we got back (they were a month old) and now they follow us just like the others.
    Good luck. :hugs

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    It takes time. Some breeds are friendlier then others.

Usually it's not until they start laying until they are the tamest. I had one hen attack me 3 times challenging me in her teen stages. She now is a very sweet rhode island red. I took her out in the woods yesterday and she sat on my lap for about 1/2 hour and ended up falling asleep.

I hold mine daily. I have 3 more chicks this year and if I pick them up for a second, I won't put them back until they are calm. Treats help too, but my new chicks want nothing to do with treats, so I use their feed.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  5. PeepsAreForMe

PeepsAreForMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Pemberton Borough, NJ
    Thank you guys! I was starting to think I was a bad mother!! I will be patient . . . and continue to pick them up through the loud chirping!

6. kkowa

kkowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    what i do with my chicks is i take 1 out at a time and let them purch on my arm or shoulds with a old rag or somthin under them this seem to work because you can just carry on with your day well interacting with your chicks. [​IMG]

7. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! Treats are the way to the heart! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by