When will my Cuckoo Maran Cockerel start crowing and when will my Cuckoo Maran hens start laying?

carmstrong

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 28, 2012
Hi, I am new here and so if this is in the wrong place I am sorry and please redirect me!
I have had chickens for the majority of my life but the summer just gone I really got into chickens. I bought an incubator, brooder etc. I managed to hatch 4 out of 6 cuckoo maran eggs. They are now 13 weeks old and are living happy with the main flock. They are in with 3 other hens and some bantams. My questions is when will my cockerel start crowing? Does he have to assert his authority over the other flock first? and do I need to do anything to encourage him to mate with the hens? My last question is when will my hens start to lay? I know there can be no definitive answers but if anyone has any ideas that would be great. Thank you in advance for any advice you might have!

Thank you!!:)

welcome-byc.gif

Roosters don't have a specific age at which they start crowing or get interested in the hens. I've had roosters crow the first time aged 3 months and 6 months and everything in-between! As for mating, I've seen a 2 month old roo chick try to mate with a hen. Very funny to see, but they only reach sexual maturity around 5-6 months of age, on average.
Hens start to lay at around 20 weeks of age, some breeds a bit sooner, some breeds later. But the average is around 20 weeks.

Thank you, I will keep my eyes on them and keep my fingers crossed for some lovely dark eggs in the future!

Thank you !!

Back
Top Bottom