when will my duck lay

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by two j farm, Jun 9, 2016.

1. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    At what age do ducks start to lay. I have two 9 week old mallards. This is my first time having ducks so just wondering when they lay.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  2. chwychuro

chwychuro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2015
    PASO ROBLES, CALIFORNIA
    Mine started laying at 4 -5 months

3. two j farm

two j farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Louisiana
    My Coop
    Ok thanks!

4. Happy Quack

Happy Quack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2016
    Gunnison Colorado
    It does depend on breed. 4- to five month for most. Mallards lay up to 35 eggs a year. My mallard hen hardly lays. she is 2.

5. Quackalackin

Quackalackin Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    Oregon
    Wow! I did not know mallards laid so little. All my breeds lay from 150-300+ per year according to stats on the Internet. after getting ducks, I wondered if wild ducks laid every day as well, but it seems to not be so. How do ducks get a hatching nest going if they only lay an egg a day, or mallards and wilds who don't even lay that often?

6. Happy Quack

May 29, 2016
    Gunnison Colorado
    The best layers are Khaki campbells , up to 340, Harlquins, up to 330, Magpie 240ish, ancona, 230ish, appleyards 220ish, pekin 200ish. this is in one year. I hope that is helpful.

7. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    We have Australian Spotted ducks and they are the best layers of the bantam breeds. They lay chicken sized eggs so no conversions for recipes either, plus at 2 pounds they eat far less. They are mature at 4 months old.

8. Happy Quack

May 29, 2016
    Gunnison Colorado
    Where did you get your spotted ducks? I would love to
    get some.

9. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    Ours are all out of Holderreads but he got out of ducks so he does not have them anymore. We have been hatching and raising them for a few years now but we have added unrelated drakes every year and kept hens every generation. We have breeding pairs, ducklings, and hatching eggs for sale but we are not shipping yet. We prefer local sales but we could start shipping adults in the future since they are the hardiest.

You can try Craigslist to see if there are any in your area. Just make sure they are purebred if you want to breed. Sometimes people pick up crossbreeds cheap at auctions and call them whatever they most look like but they could be anything.

10. duckowner1994

duckowner1994 New Egg

Jun 21, 2016
    I just got Peking ducks a male and female and havnt layed eggs yet and was wandering when they look full grown and fully Mature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by