When Will My Duck Lay???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by campyconnors, Nov 10, 2014.

1. campyconnors

campyconnors Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2014
    So,

Ive had my pair of Swedish ducks for about hmm... seven or eight months now and not a single egg[​IMG]. I have one male (Black Swedish Duck) and one female (Blue Swedish Duck). They have been mating for about two months now (showing signs of sexual maturity I thought) and still, no eggs (or baby ducks for that matter). I thought now that they've been mating for quite some time, my girl would be ready to lay. She's full grown, fully feathered, and quite plump... yet she still wont lay. Is it something I am doing wrong? Ive tried making nests for her to lay in (she rips them apart [​IMG]), given her access to nesting boxes, and looked everywhere she may have laid. Still, nothing. Two of my four chickens have started laying already (They are the same age as the ducks), but the other two actually have not either. Perhaps this is just a case of a late bloomer. Anyway, I really would have thought she'd be laying by now. Please let me know what this could be. Thanks so much!

2. Mommy2pekins

Mommy2pekins New Egg

Nov 10, 2014
    Hi there,
    Mine started laying way before I thought they were. Around 7 months. I waited and waited, never saw a thing. Once I started digging around under there bedding, then I saw at least a dozen of them. I had dug to the waaaaay bottem of there bedding and then covered them up. Their lower stomachs literally look like theres an egg sitting there on the inside. lol

3. PeggiB

PeggiB Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2014
    Virginia
    I have one female that, up until yesterday, has been laying her eggs in the pool!! That was fun!! Finally, both females are laying in a nest in their house.

4. slymama

slymama New Egg

May 5, 2014
    I am waiting on my 6.5 month old WH to lay also! A neighbor & I split a batch of ducklings and theirs have been laying for about 6 weeks. We have searched everywhere, changed their bedding ect .... Is it getting to dark early now?

5. campyconnors

campyconnors Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2014
    Thanks. Ill make sure to dig around. I didn't know they actually buried them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by