1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when will my duck start sitting on her eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jjtrucker, Jan 21, 2015.

1. jjtrucker

jjtrucker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2014
    My duck has been laying eggs regularly and until now I have been collecting them. I have decided to see if she will hatch some. She has laid 7 eggs over the last 7 days and has them all neatly arranged. When will she start sitting on them to hatch?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What breed is she? Not all breeds/strains will set on their eggs.

3. duckman150

duckman150 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2015
    trinidad and tobago
    Sourland is right...not all breeds are good setters. If ur duck is Muscovy she will most likely start setting after 8 eggs. If she doesn't I hope u have an incubator ready.

4. jjtrucker

Dec 23, 2014
    I think she is a black blue? Swedish. I do have an incubator but sadly have had no luck getting them to develope in the incubator so I decided to let her do it.[​IMG]

5. jjtrucker

Dec 23, 2014
    [​IMG]

6. duckman150

Jan 21, 2015
    trinidad and tobago
    There are a few things to consider with an incubator. The temperature should be around 37.5°c and humidity about 55% during the first 25 days. After the eggs should start pipping. Temperature should be decreased to 35°c and humidity increase to about 75%. What most incubators don't have is, fresh air, and that can be a problem. I built my own incubator with capacity of 500 eggs and introduced a fan pulling freash air from outside into the incubator. Eggs need the oxygen. I have uploaded some pics of my incubator. It is far from cheap and has hatched over a hundred eggs already.[​IMG] note the settings. [​IMG] actual image of hatchling in incubator still. [​IMG]. Very soon iI will be uploading some information on artificial insemination. This is useful when you want a number of ducks laying at the same time to fill an incubator.

7. jjtrucker

Dec 23, 2014
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    This is my incubator my husband and I made. It is working great with my chicken eggs but so far when I candle the duck eggs nothing has been growing in them and I know they are fertile. I have a fan in that pulls in fresh air as well. How many days do you wait to candle your eggs?

8. duckman150

Jan 21, 2015
    trinidad and tobago

9. duckman150

Jan 21, 2015
    trinidad and tobago
    If the conditions are perfect growth can be seen in as little as 3 days, if nothing happens by seven days review ur incubator conditions and try the eggs again. Remember the temperature is crucial to kick start the process in the egg. I set my temperature to 38 degrees for a few days to start the process then as soon as I see development begin I turn down to 37.5°C

10. duckman150

Jan 21, 2015
    trinidad and tobago
    If there is anyone who has an excess of fertile eggs I don't mind buying them as well as paying shipping. Contact me via email shaheedghany@gmail.com thank u

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by