1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When will my ducks love me again?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jujubeans2008, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Jujubeans2008

Jujubeans2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    Hello!
    I got my ducklings as new hatchlings and they loved being held, and cuddled. When they hit the dreaded three week mark, everything changed. They are about 5 weeks old now, and HUUUUUGE. When will they get out of the "scared" stage? I miss how the duckies used to actually love me, and now it seems like they don't even want to tolerate me. :(

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    They may being going threw some teen stages.But ducks usually are not big cuddlers once they grow up.

My ducklings did this and never changed.Same with chickens.Byt chickens learn to tolerate being picked up (some just dont care).

Ducks are like those wild deer on those shows who come visit the humans,but wont allow touching (some ducks)l.You may get as far as long as being hand fed.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

So funny!
    My Four babies are four weeks old and also found their independence.
    They dont want cuddles any more either.
    They peep back to me as I talk to them and chew on my shoes but if I reach for them they scatter.
    I content knowing they are happy and enjoy my company from a distance.

Enjoy!

4. Jujubeans2008

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    This is what they are doing for me. I just hate that it seems like they are scared of me. I know ducks are naturally scared but it sucks to have to corner them to get to pet them.

5. duckeg

duckeg Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    Try feed them by your hand start with something they love, mine love tomatoes .they will get use to your hand and stay around you but don't expect they come to you and cuddle you .

6. Jujubeans2008

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    I don't expect them to cuddle me, I just want them to not be so scared of me. I did notice today, that I could walk by them without them RUNNING away. They were walking away, but it was just walking. Hopefully, that's progress. lol.

7. duckeg

duckeg Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    Lol be patient buddy, just hand feed them and try to sit somewhere around them silently and dont make a move, they will get use to you. It works for me

8. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    Have you tried just setting one on your lap while you're doing something? I have four four week olds and they are also going through this stage, but I just take some time every day to hold them on my lap when they look sleepy, and they fall asleep or just sit there calmly. I sometimes feed them while I hold them, too. They don't like being picked up, except one (surprisingly my KC), but all of them enjoy sleeping on my lap while I read or something like that. I don't know if it will end up working, but that's what I'm doing to tame them.

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I was heartbroken when my Runners went through this.

I got some good, caring advice here on the Duck Forum. Spoiler: it took a long time (a few months) but I have an extremely friendly flock, a few huggers, and no one likes being picked up.

What I learned here:

Do not just appear out of nowhere. Make some sweet noises as you approach the brooder.
    Try to approach as low as you can go (I literally crawled into sight - I have no pride when it comes to my ducks)
    Avoid cornering them. For me, this meant that instead of picking each one up and putting her in a box to go outside or to tub time, we herded them into the Limousine (a converted dog crate, with one inch plastic poultry fence all around it so they would not stick their heads out in transit.
    Give treats
    Spend quiet time near them
    Be patient. Really, really patient.

One day, I could clean the brooder with them in it. Next day, they acted like they thought I was an axe murderer.

So, I started letting them out of the brooder, into the hallway (!!!) while I cleaned up. After cleanup, we had a pea party in the hall. Then we walked back into the brooder (we meaning the ducklings). Eventually, the flock began to follow me from a safe distance into the bathroom where I scrubbed up their dishes. One of my favorite photos is of eleven nearly-grown ducklings with me in the bathroom. It was a transcendent experience, truly.

Over time, they warmed up to me again. And going into our seventh year together, they are as sweet as ever.

10. Jujubeans2008

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    Thank y'all! I will definitely try treats and such. They are actually housed with my hens because they are just as big as them now. Wow! I have not tried picking them up lately, except to put them in the pond. Two of them screech at first, but they calm down and don't mind being carried. One is hit or miss, and the other absolutely hates being touched. lol. They are free ranging, except night time, so I'll try to go in the pen at dusk with them and see if they will let me hold them. Thanks again, and any other suggestions are welcomed. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by