when will my eggs hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hattie*_*, May 18, 2009.

1. Hattie*_*

Hattie*_* New Egg

Feb 5, 2009
    my hen is sitting on a few eggs atm they wer layed around 21 days ag, she is not on the ground so the shells arent getting any moisture, i was told to put them in warm water for a short time (minute or less) so the shells are soft enough for the chicks to get out, they are now wobbling in the water does this mean they cant get out or just that they will hatch soon, Thanks
    Also how accurate is the 21 days thing

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I never heard anything about putting them in water for soft shells? I would take them out and put them back...

3. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    When I had a broody, I had her in a dog crate and had bowls in for her food and water. Near the hatch time she must have sat in that water bowl, because it was spilled all over a couple of days, then she must have stopped. I say give her a small bowl of water. She knows what to do.

4. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    In water is a good way to drown chicks.

I would have suggested reading the information on hatching and broodies that's locked for reference at the top of this forum.

Broodies should be left alone to manage their hatches.

5. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    My broodies have never had a problem hatching out their eggs. I have never heard of the water before....I agree with the other BYC member...take them outta the water and give them back to mama. [​IMG]

6. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    My broodies have never had a problem hatching out their eggs. I have never heard of the water before....I agree with the other BYC member...take them outta the water and give them back to mama. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by