1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

When will my girls lay?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Smittyschicks, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Smittyschicks

Smittyschicks Hatching

Aug 15, 2010
    Hello,

I have 2 RIR red hens that are 22 weeks old. I am new to this, but expected them to be laying by now. We have nesting boxes in the coop and have put "fake" eggs in there. They are free range all day in a fenced in area so I have been also checking around the yard to make sure they're not laying someplace else. Any other tips? [​IMG]

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

They should be laying very soon by how old you say they are. Maybe its just too hot right now. [​IMG] Be patient a little longer, you should see eggs real soon. [​IMG]

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I'm just waiting at 19 weeks, but from what I read there is quite a broad spectrum of what is a "normal" age to begin laying. If they are free ranging you probably could have a hidden nest somewhere?
    Sorry, I just read that you've already checked the yard!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  4. Smittyschicks

Smittyschicks Hatching

Aug 15, 2010
    I never thought about the heat...could be!!!!
    Don't be sorry, any suggestions are welcome...I think I will do another thorough walk around tomorrow!!!

5. rdport

rdport In the Brooder

Nov 27, 2009
    Texas
    How do their combs look? Bright red and nice size?
    Our RIR's were hatched on March 10th and we have been getting their eggs for about 3 weeks. But we live up north and it is not so hot.
    If you can catch them, support her with one arm and hand and then run your index finger and thumb down both sides of where the egg comes out...just gently...and if it is open, they are laying. If the two bones are still together, they have not started laying.

6. cralex

cralex Hatching

May 1, 2010
    We got our chicks on March 27th when they were a couple of days old and got our first egg just yesterday (20 weeks)! Second one today. It came after a couple of days of slightly cooler weather so maybe yours will lay very soon! Good luck--it's so hard to wait!!

7. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    [​IMG]
    a watched pot never boils lol I had resigned myself that my girls were going to be late layers when all of a sudden 1 started laying, I"m not going to expect the other 2 start anytime soon because they just dont seem ready, do your girls have red combs and wattles yet, I think with mine the wattle was the real clueshe didn't have the wattle before she started laying my other girls still done have wattles, just stubby little combs.
    gl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by