1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

When will my girls start laying again?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FlotownFarmer, Jan 5, 2014.

1. FlotownFarmer

FlotownFarmer Hatching

Apr 13, 2013
    I have 2 Red Sex Links and a Tetra Tint that are currently 9 months old. They were laying great till the beginning of November. They stopped for a couple of weeks and then I put a light in their coop to lengthen their days. They started back up after about a week. Then on Christmas day they stopped again even with the light. The only thing I can think of is that the PVC automatic feeder I made wasn't being very automatic and maybe they weren't eating enough. I altered the design a couple of days ago and it seems to be truly a continuously available feeder now. My question is how long should I expect it to take before I see eggs again?

2. justin24

justin24 Songster

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    Spring mine stopped in october i suggest looking in to cold hardy hens you may get eggs during the winter time

3. justin24

justin24 Songster

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    im lookin into gettin some brahmas or black astralop

4. whittychick

whittychick Songster

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Mine stopped laying late October early November...and probably like 3 weeks ago some started laying again. Now I'm waking up to 5-6 eggs a day out of 10 chickens! I provide no heat or extra light. I'm hoping they keep it up!

5. justin24

justin24 Songster

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    Wat kind of chicken do you have

6. Frankie Ruiz

Frankie Ruiz Chirping

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    im getting about 5-6 eggs a day out of about only 7 or 8 hens that are laying. and its been in the teens and the other night it got down to -2 degrees. i have barred rocks, light brahmas, and australorps that are laying.

7. whittychick

whittychick Songster

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    Barred rocks, bantoms, buff orps and a few that I'm not sure of...yea it was 2 degrees here Friday and we just got 14 inches of snow!

8. Frankie Ruiz

Frankie Ruiz Chirping

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    same here we just got 13 inches

9. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Songster

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I am up to 3/10 a day for 6 days a week, they need the one day of rest I suppose, I'm not complaining toooooo much, end of October I went from 6 or7 a day down to just 3- 5 a week by the end of November...Got a few girls that keep going in and out of the coop so hoping they are thinking now is a good time to start production again, got a few older ones that will probably be culled the end of the month as they are older and not producing much if at all. I also provide no heat or light

bright side, I got 10 pullets I hatched out in September that should start laying in march and it looks like I might be starting up the incubator the end of the week for the fall egg layers, hopefully next winter I will have enough that carry us through the winter :)

10. justin24

justin24 Songster

Jan 30, 2011
    memphis tn
    Nice i can't wait till my brahma nd black Australorp eggs come this spring im order 6 of each

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by