When will my girls start laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pamperedpullets, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Pamperedpullets

Pamperedpullets New Egg

May 24, 2014
    [​IMG]
    I got them in the beginning of 14 of them were a day old the other two were two are four weeks old.

2. Free as a Bird

Free as a Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2014
    New England
    My first flock started laying between 5 and 8 moths (varied breeds).

3. NacientNeedle

NacientNeedle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2014
    My girls are all starting to lay or are showing all the signs and are very interested in watching when the layers are sitting to lay - and then they go sit on the egg after the layer gets up - funny! One of them (not sure which) laid her first egg with a very thin shell that broke. All the other eggs/layers are giving good hard shelled eggs. I switched them from a good Blue Seal grower feed to a good/high protein layer food as soon as the first girl started to lay. My question is: is the thin egg just because the girl is immature and she'll start giving good hard eggs in a few days - or - is she not eating enough of the protein enriched food? I will try to isolate to determine which one and then make sure she is getting some extra protein (hard boiled eggs perhaps), but they free range in my small back yard and have plenty of the layer food available. Any advise or insight would be appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by