When will my hen go broody after laying her first egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Quiobole, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Quiobole

Quiobole Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Houston
    My hen Tequila laid her first egg two days ago. I was wondering when she will start getting broody. I'm pretty sure she's laying fertile eggs because our rooster's been messing around with her.

I'm not sure of her exact breed but I've posted a picture and some BYC members think she's a Brown Leghorn cross. (Not sure if that helps)

I just wanted to get a good idea of how long it will take, and also if it's even worth it to try and store the (possibly) fertile eggs until she gets broody.

Thanks in advance!

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I read that thread about your hen, and they were commenting on the other person who posted a picture of their chicken (which he/she thought was an EE). I believe yours is a Game mix of some sort.

Now, as of when she will brood, I'm not sure, but if she does have Game in her then she will make a great mother. Some breeds brood more than others. I have Silkies and I feel like I have at least one brooding all the time (I have 6), and then there is my Australorp who decided to brood for the first time this October (she's 2 years old).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Understand that they have been trying to breed broodiness out of chickens foe decades. They've had more success with some breeds than others. Leghorns rarely go broody but games are much more likely to.

You won't know until it happens. I sure wouldn't save the eggs, hoping that she will.

4. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Hens are different from each others just like we are different from each other, unless you know the background of the hen, wether her parents had the "brooding all the time" gene or not, you wont really know when she'll go broody, for example this year I got three silkies ,2 hens 1 roo, the guy said one of the hens was the daughter of the big silkie roo, she's been broody almost all the time so far she has hatched 3 clutches since april, I also had some Production Red hens which I crossed with my silkie roo, out of that cross i got 5 beautiful hens, given that the other silkie, the big roo daughter, is broody all the time I figure he would pass on that gene to the new chicks, and well said and done one of them just started laying last weekend, laid about 5 eggs and now she's broody. Im not sure if she's gonna go through with it tho since she's new to it, but hopefully she does.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    The question is not so much "when" but "if". I've had several breeds that are said to go broody often but I've never had a broody. My sister has sex links that rarely go broody and she had one go broody. Yours may or may not ever go broody - only time will tell.

6. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Well if you go back and read the first post its really asking when

7. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:That was kind of my point.

8. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    1 of my 8 sex links went broody late this year
    2 of my 3 White Rocks went broody late this year
    I did have a Sebright hen disappear for a few days but came back but for the most part I am 0 for 3 with them.

A lot of it has to do with the breed and personality of the bird.

9. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    she will go when she wants to lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by