When will my hen lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OrpingtonDude, Dec 14, 2010.

1. OrpingtonDude

OrpingtonDude Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have a 8 month old splash Orpington hen. She was born in mid April. I was wondering if anyone could tell me when she will be laying or why she isnt.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Orps are slow maturers. Is she really red in the face? Should be anytime now.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Your question made me think of the old Magic 8 Balls... [​IMG] Sorry, you may be too young to remember those...
    It does seem like she'd be laying by 8 months. The bad thing is that since the days started getting so short about a month ago, and with the weather cooling off at the same time, I think that would hinder her laying... I've got two young ones who I've wondered about as well, about 7 and 8 months old, and that's what I've blamed it on. Personally, I'm not counting on anything from those two until early spring... [​IMG] although the 7 mo. old light sussex just squatted for me yesterday, so who knows??? But I wish you luck!

4. SueMuffin

SueMuffin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2010
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I have Buff Orpingtons and the last one just started laying at 9 months, so not to worry. Unless you hear it start to crow!!

5. serena763

serena763 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    I have 2 buff orpingtons and at 7 months they have started...it is slow because of the cold weather. I don't blame them I don't even want to get out of bed either!!!

6. elizabethlongwood

elizabethlongwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    longwood, florida
    I have a Buff Orpington who is 8 months old and still not laying. She just started squatting and turned really red in the face about a week or two ago, so I figure she'll probably start by Christmas. Sounds like orpingtons can be late in maturing.

7. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    When I gave up and decided mine were gonna wait till spring they started to lay. Go figure.

8. elizabethlongwood

elizabethlongwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    longwood, florida
    My 8 month old buff orpington laid her first egg today, has your splash started yet Orpingtondude?

9. Rivers

Rivers Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2010
    I never realised it took so long before they started to lay!

I just got my four hens 3 days ago, I thought it was weird that these werent laying but they are only <5 months old.

In order of size (biggest first): Black Rock, HiLine, Bluebelle, Buff orp X light Sussex

It is deep winter here, wet, windy and cold. It seems like im going to be waiting a long time, especially for the little Buff.

10. OrpingtonDude

OrpingtonDude Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Topeka, Kansas
    Quote:No she has not but has been staying in side the coop while the rest of them go out.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by