When will my hen lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by travhal, Dec 11, 2011.

1. travhal

travhal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    I have a pullet 17 weeks old, i have been told that leghorns can start laying 18-22 weeks old. But this pullet looks like it is more developed then the others. I wondering if anyone could tell me if this hen is going to lay soon?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Ummm, I'm not entirely sure that "hen" is ever going to lay. Can you get a better side view pic?

3. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

Ya, I don't think that chicken is going to ever give you an egg. [​IMG]

4. travhal

Nov 9, 2011
    Quote:What do you mean, it is only 17 weeks old? I was asking if it would lay soon.

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:What do you mean, it is only 17 weeks old? I was asking if it would lay soon.

I believe that is a rooster, not a hen.

6. travhal

Nov 9, 2011

I believe that is a rooster, not a hen.

Are you sure, because the rooster that is the father to this chicken is brown not white and the mother was a leghorn. I went by the characteristics of its parents.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I had a few of my friends come and take a look at your pics and we are all in agreement, rooster. I am only about 98% certain however, that's why I asked for better side view pics. You see those pointed, draping saddle feathers (the feathers right in front of the tail)? Also, how in pic #2 and #3 how the tailfeathers or sickle feathers are starting to curl back? The hackle (neck) feathers appear to come to points as well; yet another sign of a roo.

Could be wrong, hope so for your sake, but I still think roo. Sexing by color only works in breeds bred to be sexed at hatch by color.

8. travhal

Nov 9, 2011
    Quote:Thanks for your help. I will upload one more photos tomorrow for you to see because the tail feathers might be getting pushed up by the chicken leaning against the wall.

9. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    Erm..looks like saddle feathers and roo tail...goodness knows, I could be wrong (happens all the time), but I think your pullet is a cockerel. [​IMG]

10. psycoforsilkies

psycoforsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    Im not an expert but I have 4 leg horn hens, and that looks just like my pullets they are all 6 months, and 3 have just started to lay, not everyday, I noticed with mine thier combs got really really red first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by