When will my hens finally start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by operationindigo, Dec 22, 2013.

1. operationindigo

operationindigo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2013
    My hens are about 5 months and 1 week old. No eggs yet. They both have pretty red combs/waddles, but no sign of laying. They don't free range (we're urban) but have a pretty sizable run. They eat purina flock raiser, and one hen is a brown leghorn and the other is a barred rock. Am I doing something wrong? We're in Jacksonville, FL - so it has not been cold here. Any ideas?

2. Roojoy

Roojoy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2013
    I don't think so because most breeds start laying eggs around six months and some breeds like Silkies lay eggs around 8 to even 10 months i believe.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    They are still well within the range of normal to begin laying. I would guess that they will do so pretty soon. Are you offering them oyster shell on the side. You might want to do so since you're feeding them Flock Raiser. Either that, or switch over to layer feed.

4. operationindigo

operationindigo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2013
    Should I switch before they lay? I have a bag of layer feed in the carport shed - but a lot of people have said to wait until you get the first egg. Will the oyster shell help them in the meantime?

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    You can either start feeding them layer feed now or finish up the flock raiser and offer oyster shell on the side. Your choice. They're totally old enough for either at this point. [​IMG]

6. emmaie892000

emmaie892000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    Marion, NC
    I feed mine layer feed mixed in with oyster shells so they can choose what they need. Only one is laying at the time, but they all are old enough.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Nothing in layer feed or oyster shell makes/causes/helps a hen lay eggs. All those things do is give extra calcium so when/if she IS ready to lay, the eggs have hard shells.

Your birds are just young yet. It's the darkest days of winter and lots of young birds won't start laying until the days start getting longer.

8. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! I am in the same boat. Mine are 22-23 weeks old. I want my eggs! I am also in a warm climate. I wish there was a standard time they layed.

9. Theda's Mom

Theda's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Moscow TN
    It's my understanding that it's not the temperature so much as breed and light. I had a very light colored coop in NH with lots of big windows and it stayed bright inside all through the winter. My hens laid eggs like crazy all through the winter. Here in west TN, with the same general mix of hens (indeed, some of the same hens) but a darker interior in the coop, no eggs. I'm not desperate enough to leave the electric lights on. Besides, the girls could use a break, and I can't imagine that it would hurt the babies to grow up a little more (they're all 22 weeks) before they go into production. The eggs will come. Just like that proverbial pot of boiling water. :)

10. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    my coop is only 3 sided so light is not the issue. I check every single day for an egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by