when will my hens lay im clueless

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by janetgarcia1021, Sep 19, 2010.

1. janetgarcia1021

janetgarcia1021 New Egg

Sep 19, 2010
    hi my delawares are 30 weeks and only one is laying what do i do to get the other girls to lay i have five of em.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Boy, you have really late bloomers. Should be anytime now. I don't know if Delawares are slow to start.
    I had a couple pullets wait until they were 33-35 weeks.

Imp

Some people say feed cayenne pepper to stimulate them into egglaying, but I'm rather doubtful if it works.

3. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

You can't make a chicken lay. They lay when they are ready ...usually after you've decided that they will NEVER lay [​IMG]

Make sure that your are offering layer and/or oyster shell... but it's all a waiting game.

Good Luck! [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Any chance they are laying elsewhere? Do they free range? Any little areas of the coop/run where they could be hiding eggs?

Go out and look with a really keen eye, they may have some hidden spot. Hens lay in the darndest places!

[​IMG]

5. janetgarcia1021

janetgarcia1021 New Egg

Sep 19, 2010
    well the only one that is laying decided to lay in my daughter's power wheels i have looked everywhere but i havent seen any eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by