When will my hens lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FrankieMcElfresh, Jul 1, 2011.

1. FrankieMcElfresh

FrankieMcElfresh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    Ohio
    I bought 6 chickens from Tractor Supply Company on April 21st, 2011 and got 4 black bantams from a friend the next day, umm not really sure on breeds (if you could help me on that too), I do have a pic of them the day I got them, all the white ones are hens and two of the three brown ones are hens, and also my one black bantam is a hen so a total of 6 hens...when will they lay? any info for me? pleasee and thank you!

PICTURE OF THE DAY I GOT THEM (APRIL 21ST)
    [​IMG]

PICTURE OF THE DAY I GOT THE BLACK ONES TOO (APRIL 22ND)
    [​IMG]

PICTURE OF THEM TODAY (JULY 1ST)
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the lack of info and pics....they dont exactly sit still for good shots of them [​IMG] lol

2. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    My hens are 14 weeks and still none laying. I think after 14 weeks they are getting close but I can't remember for sure. I also have 2 that are about 20 weeks and still not laying. Most of mine are cochins though and are slower developing. Not sure on the breed of yours, but hopefully somebody else can pipe in. Its so hard waiting for them to start laying.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Usually about 5 months! Some take much longer. You will really know whe their comb and wattle start growing and getting bright red!! [​IMG]

4. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    You still have a few more months to go!!! I have 11 hens ages ranging from 20 weeks old to 12 weeks old. One 17 week, 19 week and both 20 week olds have started doing the "egg squat" this week! When you walk up to pet them they squat down and spread their wings out a bit and push their butt out, thet means they should start laying within a week or so, from what I have been told and/or are ready to breed. Their Combs and Waddles and Ear Lobes have turned ALL red, have become BIGGER and sart to sag! LOL! All signs of female maturity! HAHAHAHA!!! Bigger and saggier!!! My EE and LegHorn are the 20 week olds, 19 weeks the BR and the 17 week old that was the first one to squat is my RIR! I see Eggs in my future!!! But for you....a bit longer!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by