When will my hens start laying and should I switch their feed?

ChickMT

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2023
I have 5 Hens that hatched in August 1st and am starting to wonder when I should expect them to start laying? I live in Montana and am not supplementing light. I don't think we are expected to start getting 12 hours of daylight until April :(. Also, should I wait to switch them to layer feed until they are all laying eggs, or should I start sooner? Thanks from a first time chicken mom :).

At 20 ish weeks old and with increasing daylight, I would expect them to lay mid February or later.
You can start feeding layer now, there are a few higher protein layers (18%+) that are good.:]
Thank you! I am currently feeding them scratch and peck grower feed. They have an 18% layer feed and a 16% layer feed. Any reason why you recommend 18%?

Last edited:
Most birds do better overall with more protein - 16% is about the bare minimum any chicken should have.

Note that you don't have to switch to layer. A lot of folks on here feed all flock or grower for life, supplementing calcium on the side. If you have cockerels, or birds not laying due to age, molting, etc. the extra calcium may cause organ damage over an extended period of time. If you have all active laying hens however, the extra calcium should get used up for eggshells.

Thank you! I am currently feeding them scratch and peck grower feed. They have an 18% layer feed and a 16% layer feed. Any reason why you recommend 18%?
16% is the bare minimum of protein they need, 18% is better.
Is the scratch n peck the whole grain or the pelleted? Try not to feed the whole grain type, they tend to pick and choose and end up nutrition deficit. You're doing great!

Is the scratch n peck the whole grain or the pelleted? Try not to feed the whole grain type, they tend to pick and choose and end up nutrition deficit.
Just wanted to add if you are feeding whole grain mash feed, best to ferment or at the very least wet it, to ensure the birds are eating everything including the powdery fines that tend to get left behind. It'll help them get all the nutrition in the feed, and reduce feed waste as well.

Back
Top Bottom