When will my hens start laying ???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickencrazymom, Sep 2, 2009.

1. chickencrazymom

chickencrazymom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Parsonsfield,ME.
    I have some replacement hens, and I'm wondering at what age they will start laying. I know that I could go online and look up the breeds, and find out , and it would probably be pretty accurate, but you all are so helpful, I want to know when YOUR hens of the same breed started laying !!! I have 4 white leghorns , 2 black astralopes , and 2 silver laced wyandottes , all of them are 15 weeks. So what do you think , when should I expect eggs ?[​IMG]

2. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

It's really up to each individual bird, not necessarily the breed. My Leghorns started laying between 20 and 22 weeks (one at 20, one at 21, and one at 22). I've heard of earlier layers, though. Believe it or not, I think I still have a brown leghorn that isn't laying YET, at 31 weeks. She seems to be in perfect health...and I can't prove that she isn't laying because it's hard to tell the white eggs apart, but I'm pretty sure she hasn't.

I don't have any of your other breeds, so hopefully someone else can help out with those... It will be so fun when you get your first eggs. [​IMG]

3. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I have a BA,SLW, RIR, and BR tha started at 16 wks. All the others started shortly afterwards and by 21 weeks 11 were laying.

4. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    I have all breeds that U have... I would start looking at week 16, especially for PWL, all others "should" or "could" start by week 21. But... just as other posters have stated, it depends on the individual bird! Be encouraged! Start saving your egg cartons! You are very close! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  5. chickencrazymom

chickencrazymom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Parsonsfield,ME.
    Thank you all ! This is my second batch of egg layers, but I'm as excited as the very first time waiting for that glorious , long awaited first egg ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by