when will my marans start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by busby965, Feb 26, 2014.

1. busby965

busby965 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    my marans are 34 weeks old and havent layed an egg yet i have 8 blue/black copper marans each split into 2 hens and one rooster, all my others rhode island reds barred rock, and silkies are laying and have been for awhile, my question is when did yours start laying, i have lights on 14 hours a day (since first of january) with 22% layer feed, any other ideas?

2. Beth Lewis

Beth Lewis New Egg

Jan 29, 2014
    I'm not sure. I have blue/black copper marans that are 24 ish weeks old. I'm thinking as soon as days get longer they will start. Daylight savings ends tonight so I am hopeful it is soon. All their combs are getting brighter except for one. Good luck! keep us posted.

3. busby965

busby965 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    I have to say luck finally struck today out of 6 blacks i got my first 4 eggs today YEA and 2 eggs out of 3 blue. Not bad for the first time any of my marans have laid.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Daylight savings doesn't change until March 9th...and it doesn't really change anything as far as hens because the days are still the same length.

Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by