1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

when will my muscovey ducks lay eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bigdawg, Dec 6, 2011.

1. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i have a trio of muscovey ducks. i have noticed two days ago that the male was mounting the hens. is this a sign of eggs soon. they are young around a year old. i am in middle tenn. thanks

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    What's the temperature average right now? It may be too late for this year depending on your climate.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I've read that it's the light that makes a difference. Some people get eggs in December from Muscovies. I am not counting on it [​IMG]

4. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    I have one muscovy hen setting (16 eggs, started setting in the past week) and another that is about 7 months old that just began to lay. The younger one's laying is sporadic. In fact, at first I didn't realize that 2 were laying! lol None of the others are laying at this time and I am not expecting anything from them until spring. However. pleasant surprises are welcome! [​IMG] Don't know if that helps.

5. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    ok i will look for eggs from now until next fall. L.O.L thanks

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    My one pair of hens started at 4mths and one is still laying(in December no less!) ... and i am in Canada winter is definitely creeping in, it's dark here before 5pm now [​IMG]

7. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    well it sounds like muscoveys are like my silkie hens. you never know when or how many they will lay, or go broody sitting on dirt......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by