When will my new babies poop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dirtbath, Mar 4, 2012.

1. dirtbath

dirtbath Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    North Carolina
    My hatchlings are about 1-2 days old. I don't see any poop yet! Call me a nervous mom! They aren't drinking or eating yet either which I understand they are surviving off the yolk yet but I'm just scared. They seem very happy and try to itch their heads on one foot which cracks me up! So when can I expect them to start pooping and drinking?

2. Alte Vogel

Alte Vogel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    S.E. Alabama
    When I got my day old chicks I dipped their beaks in the water a couple of times and after that they drank with no problems. As far as food I took my fingers in the chick feed and "scratched" so they would hear it. They are curious and would come to investigate. That is what their momma would have done and they caught on right away.
    As far as poo they did too much of that right away. LOL. Make sure you check their bum and wipe it to make sure dried poo is not blocking. I use a moist make up pad.
    Hope this helps.[​IMG]

3. wilbilt

wilbilt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2012
    Nor Cal
    Mine were pooping in the box on the way home. I imagine they were 3-4 days old by that time, though.

4. featheredroots

featheredroots Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Madisonville, KY
    They should start pooping shortly after they start eating. They'll find their food on their own, but need you to show them their water by dipping their little beaks in their dish. They get the idea pretty quick, and should start drinking quite a bit. Mine drank almost nonstop the first day, and ate nonstop the next, after that things evened out.

Congratulations and good luck! [​IMG]

5. dirtbath

dirtbath Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2009
    North Carolina
    Well, I realized my brooder was a little too big so i moved the water and food closer to the heat lamp and threw a bit of scratch on the ground. Within two minutes they were scratching up a storm and even found the water fine. So i would imagine I should see poop soon. LOL!!!! Thanks everyone for your input!!

6. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Don't worry mine are about a week old now, my question is there a market for chick manure till the eggs start? I'll be a millionaire if there is.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  7. dallandrafae

dallandrafae Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2011
    i usually wait till the chick is 8 hours old and are a bit more alert, then i dip thier beak in the water and shortly after they will start to poop. about two hours after that i then scatter chick crumb on the floor of the brooder once the work out its food i introduce a bowl of food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by