when will my pekins lay!?!?!?

bravevline

Songster
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
i got two day old pekin ducks in sept last year; one of which i know is a female. when will she lay?

They usually start around 6mths some sooner some later BUT ducks being seasonal layers means most break for the short, cold days of winter. For instance my ducks usually cease each October and resume by Feb/March.

I have some buffs hatched last May, they never came into lay last year.. because winter hit... they will this spring
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

They usually start around 6mths some sooner some later BUT ducks being seasonal layers means most break for the short, cold days of winter. For instance my ducks usually cease each October and resume by Feb/March.

I have some buffs hatched last May, they never came into lay last year.. because winter hit... they will this spring :)

:welcome
are ALL ducks seasonal layers??? ive read that these ducks have bern bred like hens for thousands of years for their eggs producing up to 300 yearly

That is a specific type of hybrid, and not a typical pekin. Most domesticated breeds (not hybrids) will take a break over winter unless provided supplemental lighting. This decreases the number of years they produce though, so you have to weigh the pros vs the cons.

Yes, exactly, i know of a hybrid that is touted to be one of the best layers going but most Pekin are meat birds first, layers second. Regardless, most ducks come into lay anywhere from 4mths-6mths(some later) depending upon where they turned that mid point aging. That is why my buffs while 9mths have not, winter slowed 'em down.

Also while i know weather varies, our winter has been brutal here and my Muscovy usually resume each Feb, i had a clutch hatch last March to give an idea, yet this year? they have yet to come back into lay.

Here is the golden 300 layer

http://www.metzerfarms.com/BirdInfo... Hybrid&BirdType=Duck&ID=GOLDE&CustID=2271886

Last edited:
Yes, exactly, i know of a hybrid that is touted to be one of the best layers going but most Pekin are meat birds first, layers second. Regardless, most ducks come into lay anywhere from 4mths-6mths(some later) depending upon where they turned that mid point aging. That is why my buffs while 9mths have not, winter slowed 'em down.

Also while i know weather varies, our winter has been brutal here and my Muscovy usually resume each Feb, i had a clutch hatch last March to give an idea, yet this year? they have yet to come back into lay.

Here is the golden 300 layer

http://www.metzerfarms.com/BirdInfo... Hybrid&BirdType=Duck&ID=GOLDE&CustID=2271886
do you know if there is a special hybrid goose that lay year round? ive only read that Chinas are the best which i have but also it would be nice to have the year round

do you know if there is a special hybrid goose that lay year round? ive only read that Chinas are the best which i have but also it would be nice to have the year round

I do not, there is a goose section perhaps they can advise there, closest i have to geese are the scovies.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom